Monday, July 20, 2009

Roughing it!

Saturday night I mentioned that it'd be a perfect night to set up the tent that Larry got from Verizon as a 5 year gift. It's been in our garage for 5 more without even being opened. Larry didn't want to due to the fact that he had to work on Sunday. So, we talked him into it last night. We were gone most of the day and didn't get home until just before dark. As he set up the tent I ran to the store to get all the ingredients for our Smores...Rhett, my nephew, stayed with us and we had the best time with it. We have no fire pit...we used flames from the grill to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. We may have been a little loud...sorry to our neighbors, but it was so hard to be quiet. There were "ghost" stories to be told...Larry tells some good ones let me tell ya. The boys went to sleep amazingly fast...that was the part I was worried about. They were good and worn out though. We did not have an air mattress. We thought about going to get one...then decided we don't do this often enough to get much use out of it. MISTAKE! This was the only "rough" part...I could not get to sleep...Larry was snoring. It only bothered me though...and Rhett for a short while. Luckily Larry was down by my feet so I just gave him a LITTLE nudge with my foot every time he started in. I woke up a lot throughout the night...tossing, turning, trying to get comfy...Rhett woke up to go to the bathroom. Something about him getting up and going into the house made me want to follow him right into the house and find my soft bed. I asked Larry if he wanted to go inside...he quickly agreed. We made it until 5:40am. We brought the boys in too, even though Maddox was not happy about it...half asleep, yet knowing he wasn't sleeping in the tent anymore. We slept GOOD until 8:30am. Would've been longer had we not had things going on this morning. It was definitley worth it...the tent is put away and Larry's ready to do it again once we get an air mattress!

Maddox's Hershey bar...we gave him the package thinking he was making a smore...no, ate the whole thing in less than a minute!


Larry and Gavin roastin' weiners


Rhett


Happy campers!


It's definitely the simple things in life that can make your day!

5 comments:

hncfarley said...

No air mattress!! Consider yourselves exceptional parents.

Kocher Family said...

Looks like it was a great time! We need to set up hair cuts don't we. Sorry I just now remembered! I'll call you today!

Lori said...

Looks like fun. We'd like to do that out here, but are afraid the mosquitos would suck us dry!

KellyR said...

Air mattress is a definite! You should have called I could have brought ours in to town when I came in for work!! Love the roasting weiners in the grill!!

mal.paige(: said...

looks like they had fun even if it was only in the backyard.i haven't camped in a tent forever!!