Monday, November 24, 2008

SURPRISE!

Wow, what a weekend it has been? A couple weeks ago my family and I decided to have a surprise birthday party for my Mom. Her birthday is on Thanksgiving this year...and she going to be 70!!! Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but she IS going to be 70 years old. Believe me, she doesn't act 70. What 70 yr. old has a party like the one you'll see coming?


Anyway, she had mentioned to us on more than one occasion that she didn't want a party..."they're just too much work", she said. Well, a lot of children take into consideration their parent's wishes. Not us! We knew she would enjoy a party and got it put together in a couple weeks. The problem was trying to keep it a surprise. She is VERY nosy...and asks lots of questions...ALL of the time. I, for one, am a terrible liar and knew that I would be the one to blow it. I steered clear of her a little, but that's impossible when you talk on the phone almost every day. She watched the boys while we went to St. Louis for the day and hung out at our house where we had to hide some things...make sure she wouldn't get on the computer and see pictures we had saved, etc. etc.


Here was the plan: My sister Elaine called to tell Mom that she was coming home for the weekend so that her husband could hunt...so it was planned that we would have our Thanksgiving celebration Saturday night at her house, yes her house. She fixed turkey, noodles, dressing, you name it...she fixed it. If you're ever having a surprise party this is the way to go! (Then it's not that much work) Honestly, this is the way it works. Mom fixes the main meal and we all bring the extras...so if we were to have done it differently and not let her do it all she would have known something was up. So, we let her cook. Then, we had extra friends and family meet over at my brother's house just next door at 6 and all come over together to surprise her.




A little after 6 pm, all of my immediate family was hanging out as Mom was getting everything finalized...the food was pretty much all lined up and ready to eat when a knock came at the garage door. Brent answered it...it was someone selling Christmas cookies. So, he hollered at Mom and told her what the situation was....and she knew who it was (so she thought). It was Nathan, a young relative, who often comes by selling things. So, back through the utility room she goes and opens the door to find....a garage full of people shouting "Surprise!!" and singing Happy Birthday to her. You talk about surprised! She was absolutely clueless! She couldn't get over how full the garage was of people and loved that they all had came to help her celebrate.




After everyone was settled in...we had another surprise. This time it was relatives of my Mom's from Chicago that had made the trip home just for her. Phil and Lucy...they are a hoot! When it came to thinking of ideas for entertainment...they popped into our heads. Here they are...keep in mind that Mom has no clue who is in the ape costume...and that it is VERY, VERY, hot in that costume...he takes a breather toward the end.


I broke this up into 2 videos because I couldn't get it to work otherwise. Don't forget to watch both.










Later, Larry and my niece, Kiley, took the stage...and were they ever a hit! They both did an awesome job! (This is also split up...into 4 different videos)




Shoot! I cannot get the rest of the video to upload...I guess it will come at a later time. At least this gave you a peek into the PARTY that was had at the Kocher's on Saturday night. Check back for more...and please, please feel free to leave a comment. I am dying to hear your thoughts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to watch those Kocher's!!!
Sounds like a great time!!! Memories you will have forever!!!

Kocher Family said...

Laughing soooo hard.... can't hardly comment. Kayla saw all the cars at Jeromes house and all she could say while we were at Bergbowers shed was.... "I want to go to Jeromes party... I want to play with Gavin and Maddox" We hope you had a GREAT time Grandma Kocher;) Have a wonderful birthday! Love you Bunches!

Anonymous said...

I was rolling watching the videos DeAnn. Looks like a fun time had by all. I must say that I would have loved to see the imitation of the ice cream eating from your dad!! :) Oh, and of course your mom catering to him by telling him how much he needed to eat. They are such sweethearts!!
Happy Birthday Mama Kocher or should I say Mama Annonymous!!

Lori said...

That's great! Don't know how you all pulled it off without her finding out. What a great party. I wish I was there!

Schackmann said...

You know, in a day filled with dealing with whining trash complaining about who took there "PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION", your blog always makes me laugh. Larry, you were right, that was hillarious. Happy Birthday Mamma Kocher, you got some darn good kids there. Still don't know about that Ervin guy though!?!?

jodi said...

that was a hoot! Larry - you never seize to amaze!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a PARTY!!! I laugh out loud every time I look at the pictures. I saw Dad laughing so hard he had to take his glasses off and wipe the tears away. I think that is the hardest I have ever seen him laugh. Larry and Kiley you did a great job!!! Who knew you two had soooo much talent. Larry had some good moves, but Kiley really surprised me how she was shaking her booty. Way to liven up the party!!! I'm sure this will give Mom and Dad (and everyone else at the party) some good memories.

Also, thank to everyone who "lied" to Mom (especially Dad)for the past couple of weeks. I know it's extremely hard because she like to know everything that is going on.

Anonymous said...

OH NO, there's evidence!!! Never a dull moment with the Kocher's! We had a great time...too bad your mom didn't want a party!

Anonymous said...

Hey "The Ape and his gal pal". You were great!!! Thanks for coming and helping with the surprise. Mom loved that you guys came. You looked pretty sexy in those boxers.

Anonymous said...

What can I say??? It was sooo much fun. I still work around here and am laughing out loud to myself. As everyone now knows my kids do not listen to me. You all don't realize how BLUNT I was to them that I didn't want a party. I knew (or thought) I had that through their heads. I loved every minute of it. You kids did a super job and everyone that came made it so special. I'll always treasure my "70th".I love all you kids so much. Thanks for everything.

Anonymous said...

that was the best birthday party by far.i told grandma i was ready 2 turn 70 asap.so i could have as much fun as she did AND RECEIVE LITERALLY 30 CARDS.haha.but happy birthday grandma! i love you!