Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 1 - Wyoming Bound!

Larry and I had planned on getting up at 4...leaving by 5am this morning. We were close...sort of ...we got up at 4:35 and left at 6:00am. Of course it took longer for us to load everything up than we thought it would. I don't even remember the alarm going off at 4, but I know I woke up to it going off at 4:35 meaning it went off 5 times before I realized it. Nice! We are on vacation though...didn't get too shook about it.

We stopped 4 times along the way...once outside of St. Louis to gas up...once in ??? at a Bass Pro Shop...once for a picnic lunch at a rest area near Columbia, MO...and once before entering Nebraska for a potty break. We cannot complain...the kids have done great so far...1 day down...1 full day left...and probably a few hours on Tues. morning. Today we drove 620 miles/9 hours of drive time...not bad! We have approximately 850 miles to go. Larry drove all but the last hour and a half...he was getting tired. He tells me he can't sleep when I'm driving...he was snoring within seconds of me taking off and his arms were "flailing" around. He definitely kept me awake with his wild movements. Come to find out he was having a nightmare...

We arrived in Lincoln, Nebraska around 5:00 this evening. We have done nothing but swim, eat at Cracker Barrel, swim, watch TV and relax...it was good for us all!

The boys are sleeping, Larry is playing Gameboy (Thanks Brenda...) I'm blogging (and I actually have nothing else better here to be doing...no laundry to be folded, no floors to sweep, etc. etc..who could ask for anything more! (not that I would actually be doing those things anyway, but I would definitely be thinking that I should be!)

*Grandpa Dorn...the boys have both already spent half their $5 in case you were wandering...Gavin bought a smoothie and lemon heads....Maddox bought a GIANT Laffy Taffy and a GIANT box of Mike and Ike's.

*I saw this suggestion somewhere and so far it's working/helping at least...we'll see how tomorrow goes. I gave each of the boys 7 one dollar bills (just because that's all I had) I know that's plenty...to me it's worth every penny to keep peace in our vehicle. If anyone asks "Are we there yet?" (We do give them updates on how far we have...because I would want to know too if I were them) - they have to pay me a dollar...if anyone has "hands on" each other....they have to pay me a dollar...if anyone argues or says something unkind to the other...they have to pay me a dollar. They can earn their dollars back by saying something nice, being extra quiet (this is super hard for both of them), you get the idea. Today I think Maddox lost $2 and got them back pretty quick. Gavin lost 6 or 8....I lost count. The last 3 were within the last hour...it was time to stop.
In the end they get to keep however many $$ they have to spend on souvenirs or to put in their piggy banks, whatever they decide. Just thought I'd share that.
Last night the boys and Larry sat down to make a plan....
Our set-up...

Raring to go at 6am. :)
Taking a break at Bass Pro somewhere in Missouri...none of us had ever been to one...the boys liked the fish.
Nice smiles first Maddox....then funny faces!
Hanging out at the pool


Ahhhh...this is the life!
Rockin' at the Cracker Barrel


Whew...that was long. However, it's going to be a great "journal" for me if I can keep up with this. Love to our families...we are missing you already (a little)!

7 comments:

BGndr said...

Glad it's going well for you so far!! Is that a pirate tattoo on Maddox's head? :)

DeAnn said...

It is a pirate tattoo...wander where that came from? The boys applied them on their own. Gavin must've washed his off before we took off. Maddox's is history now though after swimming.

Kocher Family said...

WOW who painted those toes? LOL Sounds like your having fun. Good luck today!

Ginder Family said...

Have fun!! Enjoy it all!!

cindy said...

It looks like vacation is going good. I am impressed with all the little incentives to be good. You always amaze me. Have fun and tell the boys I wish I would have came along.

Lori said...

I always remember swimming at a hotel to be super fun when I was a kid. I insist on it when we stay somewhere! I love the picture with your painted toes! You deserve to sit back and relax! So glad you're all having a great time! THANK YOU for the updates!

mallory(: said...

Looks like a LONG first day.
hope you are all having fun!