Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 2 - Almost there!

We made it to Wyoming...we're getting closer. We've driven approximately 17 hours 1100 some miles. Today we started off at 7 am and made 3 stops...one at Kearney, Nebraska (there was a neat bridge/museum so we decided to see what it was all about) We learned a lot...Gavin some...Maddox not so much! Glad we stopped though. The museum had headphones that could be worn and as you walked through each area the stories would change. I don't know that we ever stayed in one area long enough to hear the entire story...but it was still cool! We stopped at Ogallala, NE at a rest area for a picnic lunch complete with blanket...super nice out! Then our final stop of the day... Laramie, Wyoming. It's starting to get pretty...the boys are enjoying the "mountains" so far...little do they know that what we've seen so far is nothing in comparison to what we will see. We came to see Aunt Vicki around 10 years ago...we flew...and I didn't realize or have just forgotten how different Wyoming is...not a lot of houses..or anything really just rolling hills and rock formations. It's to the point where we want to make sure we have plenty of gas in the tank before we head to the next town because there's so many miles inbetween them. So different...
It did rain for about 45 minutes once we got into Wyoming. We were driving right into the storm...I guess there was a tornado not too terribly far away. It was crazy to be driving into this storm and just seeing open road and rain clouds for miles...no trees to block the way.

Gavin lost all of his "dollars" today. He had a moment...and Larry had a moment too. Therefore, he took all of Gavin's dollars away at once. I don't think anybody knew that was an option, but I guess it is. It was when we stopped at the rest area. Gavin came out to the parking lot and just put his hands on the bumper of this jeep and kind of jumped while putting his weight on the jeep. There were people in the jeep. I don't know if he thought it was Larry's jeep for a moment or what. Larry wouldn't care if he did that to his jeep...however, you don't touch another vehicles let alone act like a monkey on it. Gavin actually does know that. Needless to say after an apology and a loss of lots of dollars Gavin was excellent while we were at the rest area and afterwards so he was lucky and got them all back.

We're staying at a hotel recommended by Larry's parents. The boys and Larry are swimming as I blog. I am headed that direction here soon. I need to get to bed a little earlier tonight. My plan of sleeping during the trip today didn't really happen so I'm planning to get to bed earlier tonight.

Oh, and Rylin....the boys thought of you a lot today as we saw lots of trains this afternoon. You could see them for miles and miles...nothing blocking the view.

We were driving along...and saw this. Decided to take a photo through the windshield...actually I took a couple hanging my camera out the window and just snapping shots...I was way off and thought it would not surprise me if I would manage to drop my new camera right on I-80.
We decided to stop in Kearney, NE to check this place out. Lots of interesting things...surprised actually we weren't asked to leave the premises. No, the boys didn't see this...Larry doing this anyway. Gavin noticed the big "weiner"...touched it...walked away...
Inside the museum...the windows at the back actually had cowboys out that window and door talking and riding horses...they don't show up in the photo. It was as if you were in the home...
From this exact point it is exactly 1700 some miles East to Boston and the same number of miles to a city in California...San francisco...maybe. Tells you how well I remember that. I'd have to look back at the brochure on that one.
Rest area...lunch break
Nebraska....exciting, huh
Getting ready to drive into the storm
Wyoming
More of Wyoming
Hanging out while Larry checked us into the hotel
Tomorrow's plan...arrive at our destination. We have approximately 300 miles to go. Lots of miles, but it'll seem short in comparison to our drive the last couple days.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Patton says he misses his friend.

Mrs. Seals said...

I have been to Wyoming a few times. I remember the big rocks & hot temp. Have a great trip!

Cindy B said...

It looks so beautiful!! I am glad your all having a great time!! Becareful...and have a blast!!!!

grandma k said...

Good pics.Looks like a lot of fun. Keep those boys smiling!!!Which looks like it has been easy to do. Larry, I knew you had a little bit of farmer in you. Now if you can learn what to milk.

Lori said...

Lee and I watched Lonesome Dove the other night. Bet that country doesn't look a whole lot different since they rode through Ogallala.

I love the shadow of Gavin's hand in the picture of the half way point between Cali and Mass.

Along with a big smile with a top tooth missing Rylin said, "WOW! They are thinking of me on their trip?!"

Addisen on the other hand was a little upset that they didn't think of her. She said, "Ugh! Don't they know I like animals?" lol I laughed and she got mad.

Enjoy your trip and those memories you will cherish forever! (Larry, weiner pinching is NOT allowed!) lol

Kelly R said...

Missing my computer right now badly, especially to see what my boys are up to!!! Miss you guys!!! Give everyone kisses from the Richardsons!! Thanks Larry for taking a moment break from vacation to help me order my computer!!

mallory(: said...

looks like the boys are full of smiles! very good pictures too!
love you all and miss you!