Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 6 - Snow King Resort/Jackson Hole

I'm using this as a journal at this point, a way for me to keep my days straight and remember all the things we've done.

We started our day at 8 am. Had to wake the boys up...they swam until 10:00 the night before and then by the time they were able to wind down it was about 10:40pm. We had a full day ahead of us so we wanted to get up and going fairly early. Aunt Vicki and Kim told us we HAD to eat at Bubba's. We even had coupons for the free breakfast buffet at the hotel, but we went out to eat breakfast anyway. It was an experience. I wish I would've taken photos of our plates before we dug into them. The boys had pancakes. The pancakes were as large as the plate. Larry had biscuits and gravy and the biscuits were HUGE! It was delicious and of course we were set to go for the long day ahead of us. We headed back to the resort to ride some rides. They have alpine slides, bungee trampolines, mini golf, and typically a scenic chair lift up the mountain, but it was closed until next week. We spent until about 2:00 riding the alpine slides and playing mini golf...it was fun. I had never experienced the alpine slide. I was actually a little scared to due to Larry's last experience. When we first started dating he went to Pigeon Forge with his parents and came back with these horrendous scabs on his arms and legs. He still has scars to this day. I quickly found out that only idiots that go entirely too fast wreck like he did. He admitted that all along, but alpine slides aren't nearly as "fast" as I thought they were. Gavin wasn't really old enough to ride by himself, but after a couple times down with Larry and Aunt Vicki they decided he was responsible enough to do it on his own and none of the workers ever said anything. He did really well with it. Around 2:00 we decided to head in for a nap due to a certain 4 yr old being whiny...I won't mention any names. We all napped for about an hour and then headed back out to alpine slide. I forgot to mention that earlier in the morning both of the boys tried out the bungee trampoline. Gavin did flips on it, but Maddox wasn't ready for that. They both went super high though.

In the afternoon we split up a little. Gavin wanted to ride the alpine slides a LOT and Maddox wanted to bungee jump a LOT so I stayed with Maddox and Vicki went with Gavin. The rides were all close together so Kim and Larry hung out inbetween the two. At the end I worked up the nerve to try the bungee trampoline. I didn't want to do it when there was a long line of people watching...I saw a teenage girl "trying" to do it earlier and she was just dangling there. I did not want to be that girl. I ended up trying it out and it was fun. I won't do it again. Well, I won't do it again and flip...and flip...and flip some more. I'm not much of a gymnast and therefore I haven't done many flips not even on the trampoline. Larry said he wanted to see at least one and I did want to try. I did and obviously liked it because I probably did 20. By the end Larry said I looked like I was ready to blow chunks. It is funny...we've got it on video. I didn't feel too hot for about the next hour. I was a little queezy to say the least!

Around 6:00 we decided to head out for a drive just outside of town to the National Elk Refuge to find some animals. It was really a sight to see...didn't see any elk. I think that Larry and I could just drive around all day and not get tired of looking at the scenery. The boys are fine for a while, then we plug in a movie and everyone's happy. Vicki brought the boys some binoculars to look for animals. We did see a wolf chasing some birds...that was the highlight of the refuge.

We also drove North of town into the Grand Teton National Forest. We took a side road and drove for quite a ways. We saw antelope...and all of a sudden we saw a herd of buffalo. So cool...they were right up on the road. They weren't all that large. They looked large to us, but Vicki and Kim weren't sure why they weren't as large as usual...maybe a rough winter. There were so many and even baby ones too. The boys got to see one rolling around...probably getting bugs off of himself.

We then drove on North a little further to get some photos with the Tetons in the background and headed back after a while. It was around 8:00 so we were off to eat.

For supper we ate at The Gun Barrel. It is a steakhouse that serves up all sorts of wild game. We got to eat elk, buffalo ribs, and buffalo sirloin. All really good...we ate too much! The boys both ordered steak off the kids menu and ate it ALL! They were starved, plus it was really good.

We went back to the hotel around 9:30 or so and decided it was time for bed...the boys really wanted to swim, but we knew that we'd all be better off if they went to bed. The boys had some huckleberry ice cream as a "midnight" snack and headed to bed.

A long and busy day! Kind of sad to say it's our last night at Jackson Hole...

1 comment:

mallory(: said...

wow! long day!
sounds like everyone is having a blast..
and im not gonna lie, i'm kinda jealous (: