Monday, August 25, 2008

Boy Without Fear

Last week one day when Gavin got home from school I let him ride his bike outside while I was watering flowers out back. He wanted to ride on the driveway out front since our patio out back is too small to ride on. No problem...he's good about staying off the road and watching for cars if he does. He comes over to tell me to check out his new trick. Here's what he has to show. Keep in mind that he usually uses the landscaping block and the board ONLY as a ramp. He'd already mastered this successfully so I ran in to video so Larry could see...what a good mom!



That evening we had a talk with Gavin about how that was absolutely not a good idea. Larry was telling him how he needs to start with small ramps and slowly work up to bigger ones that his Dad makes for him and how professionals land on their back wheel when ramping and not their front, etc. etc. etc. and in the end...NEVER to do that again.

So, Sunday we were ready to head to my brother's for lunch and Gavin was asking to ride his bike and Maddox was occupied in the house with me as I was gathering things up for our outing. I told Gavin he could ride out front as long as he stayed off the road. He wanted to ride his new bike.

A few minutes later I hear him screaming. He comes in the house with blood running down his face, onto his shirt. He was freaking out...wanted to see his face in the mirror...more screaming...Maddox is holding his ears. Larry happened to be on the phone with me at the time. I look out the window and this is what I saw...another new ramp he has created...only this time it's larger!! I no longer felt sorry for him. Thus, the photos of him screaming. Larry was on the phone...completely irrate. I really didn't even consider the fact that he would try to make his own ramp again, what was I thinking? He said to me, "I wore my helmet, Mom!" "I'm really, really sorry!" "My bike flipped over and I landed on my face...it was an accident!"

Gavin with his busted lips, bruised nose and chin ...What a cutey!?!? He really doesn't even look like himself

Gavin with his ramp (a milk crate and a landscape block)

This is how his bike landed (he wasn't even using his new one)

In his prayers last night at bedtime, he said "Thanks Jesus for watching over me today when I crashed...I could've busted my teeth! I'd say he is one lucky boy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my Gavin you are a lucky boy. DeAnn when you told me about it I had no idea how big that ramp was. I did not invision it that big. I hope you learned a good lesson and am glad that you are okay!

Lori said...

No way could I have stood there and watch him on his ramp numerous times! My heart started pounding on the first jump! I can hear Lee now saying ... Alright Gavin! You better watch that boy. He is very lucky to have his teeth! Rylin would probably loan him his full face helmet. LOL. BOYS!

Schackmann said...

It looks to me that Gavin would fit right in on Orchard Drive, what do you think LARRY??????? At least Orchard in the eighties!!!!!!

Jamee said...

Gotta agree with Shasta, that boy has a lot of his dad in him. If I remember right, the said bike was either neon green or orange. I am so glad he is okay, very scary.

Anonymous said...

YIKES!! he looks horrible!! maybe he should have drug out his first aid kit!!

heather

Anonymous said...

needless to say, we all know who he takes after. Remember the flips in the pond with Travis videoing. And you two used it as a class speech, I think. Only knew you a short time and I had second thoughts about you then. Gavin will get more bumps as he goes through life. At least, he is a real boy. He needs good guardian angels.

Sarah D said...

WOW!

If he is doing that now, I cannot imagine what he will be doing in 5 years!

Gotta give it to him for imaginative thinking on the ramp.

Glad he is ok, let us know if he gives it another try!

jodi said...

If he can ramp his bike like that now - wait until he want a motorcycle! YiKES!

Anonymous said...

poor gavin! i hope he feels better soon. i know how you feel though- jacob got a razor dirt bike for his b-day last week it will go up to 15mph. anyways, i caught him with chris's tire ramps....double stacked!! i saw him flying thru the air and my heart stopped. when i reached him he was in the process of adding #3. in the middle of yelling at him, he says, "geez mom, i was just trying to catch some air" the phrase is funny now, but it certainly was not at the time! i'm not ready for him to grow up because i know he will want the real thing and i don't know if i will be able to handle it! i pray that he has 9 lives- like uncle beef!

we have to get together soon!!
melissa