Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gavin's First Day Of Kindergarten

It started with an All-School Mass at 8am. Family and friends were invited to come and bless the teachers and the students. It was a nice way to start the school year. I love how St. Joe is so family oriented. I feel that we made the best choice. I am confident in that. Gavin has 8 kids in his class. You can't beat that either.
As we were walking up to school Gavin's backpack strap completely ripped off of one end. It will be returned this weekend. He was a little bothered by it, but got over it quickly.
Father Jerry and Mrs. Potter welcoming everyone this morning. Mrs. Potter is the new principal and is doing a great job so far. She is very active in the church and has already brought forth many new ideas and it has really made us look forward to sending Gavin there every day. Gavin with his big cousin Blake who is going to be in 4th grade this year. Gavin with his teacher Mrs. Burgener. This is her first year teaching at St. Joe and Gavin loves her already after just a half day. He keeps telling me things that she said throughout the day. The one I've heard about the most is that they are going to have a 100th day party. I'm not sure that he understands that means he has to wait 100 days til it gets here, but hey, whatever keeps him going!
First thing in the morning the students get 4 tickets. If they misbehave they get a ticket taken away. Gavin came home with 4 tickets today, so we're off to a good start. He got 4 skittles at the end of the day too!

Gavin handed me this paper when he came out of school. When we got in the car he said that Mrs. Burgener read them a story called The Kissing Hand. I haven't read it, but she said she would be sending a copy home soon. Gavin tells me that when I miss him throughout the day that I should put my hand on my cheek and know that he is in good hands with Mrs. Burgener and that she will take good care of him. Awww! So cute! I love Kindergarten!

I did not shed a tear this morning. Mainly for one reason. During Mass we sat in the 3rd row from the front. Gavin later joined his class in the front row after I had to take Maddox out of church (SURPRISE! SURPRISE!) Mass was right at an hour long, so needless to say he was a little ancy. He was really interested in talking to this little girl in his class that he hadn't met yet. You see, he had to tell her how old he was and talk to her, they had their hands together up in the number 5 seeing whose hands were bigger. Then, the entire class joined in. He was whispering, but paying absolutely no attention to Father Jerry. He looked back at me and smiled as I gave him the SHHHHH! signal. But no, Mom can't reach me so I'll keep talking and making new friends while Mass is going on. Needless to say I was a little frustrated with him at the time and so no tears were shed. That was one of the moments I felt a little relieved he was going. Mrs. Burgener said he was great in class this morning. He will do fine. I have no doubt, but it's good that he knows that we see Mrs. Burgener on a daily basis.
Tomorrow is another big day for us. Maddox starts Pre-School! He told me tonight when I was putting him in bed that I'm too big to stay with him tomorrow, but he really wants me to be his teacher. Does that make sense? It does to a 3 yr. old. More to come tomorrow.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Gavin your first big day! Good job, you will do great in school. DeAnn more tears! I am such a ball bag!

Anonymous said...

Gavin,save all your tickets in a plastic bag to show Grandma when I come visit you. Your Uncles- John and Steve always brought a big bag full home. If only you knew.I'm so proud of you and Maddox.We love you a big bunch.

Sarah D said...

AHH, the kissing hand story made me cry!

I love the tickets, what a great idea.

Looks like school is going to be so much fun!

Lori said...

Both boys were fine in church. Remember ... you were at an all school mass. Kids will be kids. Enjoy your quiet time while both boys are away getting smarter. I feel kinda lost today without my big kids here. But I know by 2:15 I'll be thinking ... where's my quiet time?

jodi said...

Congrats on Gavin's first day, I hope today with Maddox goes great also! The Kissing Hand is an awesome book, but a tear jerker for a Mom dropping her baby off at preschool! UGH! I think Megan and I made need a margarita after this week! LOL